Sunday, September 23, 2007

Newark to York


Self-Portrait with
giant rusty rooster
York, Alabama
September 23, 2007


I got to York a few days ago. Drove down from Jersey in the Queen Esther Mobile. Took 3 days. My mechanic said it'd be okay to drive her as long as i stopped every few hours to let her cool down. I obeyed and she got here without a hitch. Seems she's driving better than ever actually. It was fun. i stopped in Roanoke, Va. and Knoxville, Tn. Made lots of friends. Had lots of interesting conversations.


York is sweet as hell. I can't tell you how happy I am to finally be here. I'll be staying in this here house. It's an old converted doctor's office. I live upstairs and there's a studio downstairs for painting or whatever i want to do. Also on the grounds of the Coleman Center are a gallery, library, wood shop, more artist residences and studios and a decent computer center. There's another artist here for just a few more days then I'll be here alone for two months. That's cool though. I'll be constructing lots of big objects and using just about all the buildings here for something or other. You'd never expect such a contemporary art situation in this sleepy old southern town. Just across the way is a Piggly Wiggly and a real jook joint. I kid you not. There's also plenty of shotgun shacks and churches churches and more churches.


This is Nathan and Shana. They run the Coleman Arts Center. They came down from Indiana a few years ago as artists-in-residence and ended up staying. They are very committed to this place and are doing a bang-up job overseeing its expansion.

I dive head on into the Mose Tolliver project this coming week.

9 comments:

stanton said...

garland: since that car resmbels the old lady you had in LA that we cruised in, and you have arrived at the Coleman Art Center, I felt impelled to comment on your blog. Sounds like you've found a real nice spot for yourself... GC

Gueye Way said...

If you hang out at the jook joint late at night, just stay there until morning so you are not creeping around in the night.

Are you going to do a 'chowrch' (church) tour? cass.

Shopia said...

Hello Garland. May this find you and yours in peace and joy.

Congrats on your safe and beautiful Journey. Sharon sent your link (i don't think you remember me as your sister's friend from way back when you were just a about 6-8 years old.

I wish you well and will enjoy your blooming in Alabama. What a change in pace you will have. Small town is pretty cool as long as one understands the rules...

take care all the way from Missoula Montana!

samita sinha said...

maalaman-in-alabama. you seem so happy. your car and house are too cute. don't get any weird ideas about abandoning your northeastern co-conspirators, though: it's sad enough to be doing one run of NAKED without you. found a good live video guy through dear josh pearson; i will videotape it and tell all.

incidentally, my mother's name is sikha, shikha in bengali. the same as your friend's name who posted first... the connection points multiply.

xo, samita

Queen Esther said...

wow. the queen esther mobile really does look like me!

i am so jealous of you right now. you get to have a beautiful southern adventure and make art -- and i get to stay upsouth and read about it. *sigh* such is life.

just so you know -- i sang "jet airliner" just for you last friday. it's the perfect song for me. what a great suggestion. xo, qe

ps: okay, i have to say it. would you PLEASE find a freakin' razor down there? you look like the negro version of gabby hayes.

Scotty Richardson said...

We are coming to visit, Me. a wife 2 kids.
Tony

Dudley Do-Right said...

this is a blog, which means posting regularly. nell is worried. we've seen films about your location and bad things happen in those films. if you're hiding from snidely and natasha, call. we can get you out of there. if you're having fun, get off your ass and write about it.

Unknown said...

Looks great.
Love the Art Bike idea.
How does movement change what it is?
More pix.
And I agreed about the razor.
Why are you hiding that lovely face?

Martha Rollins said...

Garland, Oh my god, it took a few minutes to recognize you under all that fluffy stuff. I had to look at several shots of you before I was sure i was on the right blog. I like it, I think. It does make you look old you know.

It looks like you have gotten yourself a sweet deal down there. The car is out of control. Where did you get it? Not sure if you remember my 1966 Volvo I had in SF. I do love the old buggies.

How is your love life?
Did you hear/see the Boston Globe article in the Sunday magazine section about Erminio? Big full page photo of him with his creatures and an accompaying article. Not bad.
Ooopss, gotta go get my kids!!!